Thursday, January 21, 2010

Rules, Schmools!

I have been absolutely torn when it comes to paint choices in our home and I am over it, I just want to get it painted already. When I ask myself why this is so tough all I can come up with is that the rules are strangling me. I know that we have rules for a reason. In general I am a person that respects the rules but this is where I need to be a rebel.

Interior design rules will say that when you have rooms that are open to one another there should be an easy transition by using complimentary colors. Closed off rooms are not as fussy.

We live in a home built in 1945, it is small and we have to sometimes be creative with space. We specifically chose a small home for many reasons. Our kitchen and master bedroom are usually always open to the living room. Now, I know that this being said, these three rooms should be painted to compliment each other. However, my argument is that we paint and decorate our homes in a way that makes us comfortable and happy. That is the point, right? We live here 24/7 and quite honestly our family does not have that many visitors other than kids and they really do not care.

Our family lives by so many schedules and rules due to health issues and Asperger's that I feel if each room wants to be who it is then it should be allowed to do just that. Each room should become what it is destined to be. It was easier with the kids rooms, they are closed off from the main living area and they could choose what makes them happy. The living room is done in warm colors and feels very cozy. The kitchen wants to be light and fun because it is a workhorse. That leaves the master bedroom, and it has been the center of controversy. We want to decorate in shades of blue but that does not follow the rules. Here is where I am done. I will decorate our bedroom in shades of blue and I think the room is very happy with that decision. ; )

Have you broken the design rules? Do you think it should all flow or meet the needs of each individual room? Tell me your story, I would love to hear what you have to say.

No comments: